Wednesday 2 May 2007

Soup making at the Penparcau Family Centre







This Wednesday Chloe and I made soup at the Penparcau Family Centre. Chloe started the session by making a homemade Tomato Soup. Again the parents and children were involved in the preparation - weighing , peeling, chopping (adults only) and putting into the saucepan. While the soup was cooking, I was able to show four people how the digital camcorder worked. Everyone agreed that the camcorder wasn't as difficult as most people believed. The camcorder was then used by everyone - taking short films of the soup being made. I was also able to show how to transfer digital pictures from one computer to another using a flash/pen drive - again everyone had an opportunity to try this. While Chloe put the Tomato Soup to one side to cool before blending in the blender, I showed the group how to make Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup. I was able to pass on a few tips I'd learnt, for example, which type of stock cubes to use, how to use cornflour correctly and how adding a small amount of sugared water to a tomato based dish will take away the sharpness of the tomato. Before serving my soup I got it really hot and then stirred in a beaten egg (the heat cooks it immediately) for that authentic Chinese look. We put out some hot bread and garnishes for the soups, which everyone had for lunch. Before we left we also offered a low sodium salt substitute, because we'd notice they'd used salt on their jacket potatoes the previous week.

No comments: